DATA PROTECTION POLICY
The eldership of Jesmond United Reformed Church complies with its obligations under General Data Protection Regulation 2016 (GDPR) by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use personal data for the following purposes:
- to administer membership records;
- to maintain our financial accounts and records (including the processing of gift aid);
- to provide news and information about events, activities and services at the church;
- to fundraise and promote the interests of the church;
- to manage employees and volunteers;
- to enable the church to provide voluntary services for the benefit of the public in our local community;
- to provide contact details of officers and others with specific responsibilities to the synod office and Church House. This enables the synod and national administration of the United Reformed Church.
- as necessary for performance of contract to which data subject is party or necessary to take steps prior to entering into a contract at request of data subject.
The legal basis for processing personal data is as follows:
- Processing is carried out by a not-for-profit body with a political, philosophical, religious or trade union aim provided: –
- the processing relates only to members or former members (or those who have regular contact with it in connection with those purposes); and
- there is no disclosure to a third party without consent; or
- Processing is necessary for carrying out obligations under employment, social security or social protection law, or a collective agreement;
- Explicit consent of the data subject has been given;
- Necessary for performance of contract to which data subject is party or necessary to take steps prior to entering into a contract at request of data subject.
Sharing personal data:
- Personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with other members and adherents of the church in order to allow contact with other church members and adherents, carry out a service to other church members or adherents or for purposes connected with the church.
- We may disclose personal information to companies and individuals who perform business functions and services on our behalf. Such functions may include storing data on an EEA located server, hosting the website and accountancy services.
- We will only share personal data with other third parties with the consent of the individual.
Jesmond United Reformed Church uses Facebook and Twitter social media. Providers of social media platforms have their own privacy policies and Jesmond United Reformed Church does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies.
DATA RETENTION POLICY
We retain data on the following basis:
|Data Type||Retention Period|
|Member and Adherent List Contact Details||24 months after last contact|
|Financial Data||7 years after the calendar year to which it relates|
|Gift Aid Data||7 years after the calendar year to which it relates|
|Messy Church Contact Details||Indefinitely for safeguarding purposes|
|Parent & Toddler Group Contact Details||Indefinitely for safeguarding purposes|
|Wednesday Meeting Contact Details||24 months after last contact|
|House Group Details||24 months after last contact|
|Room Hirer Contact Details||24 months after last contact|
|Copies of Documents Containing Personal Details||7 years after the calendar year to which it relates|
|Prayer Request Data||24 months after last contact|
|Employee Records||24 months after last contact|
|Photographs and Videos Taken at Church Events||Retained indefinitely for historical records|
|Complaints (non – safeguarding)||Indefinitely|
|Health & Safety Incidents||Indefinitely|
|Visitors Books||Retained indefinitely for historical records|
|Contractors||10 years after last contact|